As web designers and developers adopt Drupal, they quickly find themselves wanting to customize the visuals and interactivity of the sites Drupal creates. Drupal offers powerful front-end customization capabilities, but practical information about using them has been scarce—until now.
Front End Drupal fills this sizable marketplace gap by focusing on visual and interactive design, rather than module development. Two leading Drupal developers, Emma Jane Hogbin (HICK Tech founder) and Konstantin Kaefer, systematically cover Drupal customization with behaviors, themes, and templates. Readers will master each layout element needed to style Drupal sites, and learn how to take full advantage of Drupal's powerful templating system. The book also contains several start-to-finish case studies for creating and customizing a wide range of Drupal sites, from scratch.
Buy the book!
Please support your local book store and buy the book there. If your local book shop does not carry Front End Drupal, please support the Drupal Association by ordering from Amazon via this link. You may get the book digitally through Safari Books Online, digital eBook and on Amazon for your Kindle! Autographed copies of Front End Drupal are also available for sale. Please contact HICK Tech if you are interested.
Chapter 4: The Drupal Page addresses ways to customize the most important building block in Drupal page design: the page template. In this Chapter you will learn the basics and more advanced techniques, such as how modify the preprocess function used to create and alter page template variables.
Praise for Front End Drupal
- Dries Buytaert wrote the foreword for the book in which he says, ….
- "Drupal has always been a developer’s platform, even with the many designers in our ranks. It’s about time those designers had a great book. In fact, this book is valuable not just to the designers we have, but to the designers we want…." Dries goes on to cite a survey he conducted in 2008 which listed "Finding skilled Drupal designers" as the top entry on the list of the "Top five most difficult things," according to both expert and novice users.
- Addison Berry, Documentation Team Lead for Drupal, and co-author of Using Drupal (O’Reilly, Dec. 2008) said,
- "... for people who are new to Drupal this is a freaking gem. Don't think that this is only for newbs though, not at all. This is a serious book, made for grownups, and it expects you to be able to extrapolate from examples and make use of the references you've been given. To my mind that is the only way to really learn this stuff. Full Review
- Victor Kane, author of Leveraging Drupal: Getting Your Site Done Right (Wrox, Feb. 2009)
- "I can't say enough good things about this book. It reflects the knowledge and long-time experience of two hard-working and generous professionals. If you are only going to buy two or three Drupal books, make sure this one is always handy while you are working." Full Review
- David "Keyz" Newkerk, Drupal user
- "It's the best "non uber developer" book written for Drupal."
- "Exactly what I needed when I had some designing problems in drupal. This newly published book provides much insight and tips on designing and theming in Drupal. A rare kind of book." Full review
- Simon J Roberts, Drupal developer
- "As a "backend" developer and site builder, I approached this book with some scepticism - expecting it to be of limited value, given the type of Drupal work that I usually do. However, I was pleasantly surprised : the book is chock full of useful hints and tips, and I couldn't put it down. Although I've used Drupal for a number of years, I still found something useful in every chapter, especially in the back half of the book." Full Review
Buy the book!
Please support your local book store and buy the book there. If your local book shop does not carry Front End Drupal, please support the Drupal Association by ordering from Amazon via this link. You may get the book digitally through Safari Books Online, digital eBook and on Amazon for your Kindle!